Monday, January 14, 2008

Once I was Lost and Now I Am Found...

Decisions, decisions, decisions; to be successful in life, it’s all about making the right decisions. Unfortunately, some of the most important decisions that one will make, and could very well impact you well into your adult life, are made in your teenage years.

I know from experience that poor decisions will lead one down a path of broken hopes and dreams. One of the biggest struggles I dealt with in those early years, was with career choice. I had no clue what I wanted to do in life (see my full testimony). I mean, how can a child in their teenage years possibly know what they would want to do for a living for the rest of their lives?

Oh sure, you will have those teens who were born with an obvious gift, that really stands out in those early years and they just seem to gravitate to that field. But, for the most part, most teens struggle with this decision and wind up in a career that they really weren’t designed for.

That’s exactly what happened to me, and it didn’t take long out of high school, before I became disillusioned with my early choices. Out of high school I chose to work rather then go to college. I had worked since I was fifteen years old with the same company and I was offered management coming out of high school, so at that early age it seemed like a no-brainer. Who needs college?

Even though the money was nice, in a very short time I felt very unfulfilled. Within the few months of graduations, I already realized that college might not have been a bad idea after all. The following January I enrolled in my local community college to go to night school for accounting.

My next poor decision was not returning to college for the following semester, because four years of night school to finish a two year course, seemed like an eternity for me. I wanted something to satisfy me yesterday; I didn’t want to wait four years. So, for the next twenty years I live well below God’s best for me.

During that twenty year period of searching for purpose and direction in my career and professional life, I decided to start reading the Bible, to search for that purpose and direction that I was sorely lacking. Here I am ten years removed from that twenty year period and I am finally in line with God’s will for my life.

What happened? Where did I go wrong? I had to make life changing decisions before I was mature enough to make them. In Proverbs 22:6, we read, “Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.

Although my parents were good parents, they themselves were not prepared to follow this principle; they themselves were not trained according to this Proverb. Joshua 1:8, tells us, “This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

I can’t stress how right this verse is and how important it is for people to understand this principle and to put it into practice in their lives. If only I had come into this understanding for God’s will for my life twenty years ago, I could have been so much more productive in spreading the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and saving souls for Christ.

I am not saying everyone is destined to be a minister, but everyone of us is destined to have our own little ministry, right in whatever career God has designed you for. To proclaim Jesus Christ and to be a light for the truths of God, so you can bring home those prodigals who are lost within their own lives and one day proclaim, “Once I was lost, but now I am found!” Praise Jesus! Amen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home